Saturday, December 11, 2010

Qualities of Being Real!

What is reality?  Well,, my reality right now is filled with many emotions.  This isn't always my reality, but for now - I must interact with this reality and soldier onward. 

According to dictionary.com, reality is:
re·al·i·ty
[ree-al-i-tee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties for 3, 5–7.
1. the state or quality of being real.
2. resemblance to what is real.
3. a real thing or fact.
4. real things, facts, or events taken as a whole; state of affairs: the reality of the business world; vacationing to escape reality.
5. Philosophy .
a. something that exists independently of ideas concerning it.
b. something that exists independently of all other things and from which all other things derive.
6. something that is real.
7. something that constitutes a real or actual thing, as distinguished from something that is merely apparent.
 
I particularly like the very first definition: "quality of being real."  I hesitate even writing this in fear of who may read, but I feel compelled for the exact same reason.  When you pass someone on the street or in the store, you might greet them with a smile and say (out of courtesy) "how are you?"  Most people, know that the questioner rarely actually wants to know the answer to their question, so they nonchalantly answer, "I'm good, thanks."  While there are a percentage of people who actually are good the moment that you ask, I'm fairly convinced that this percentage is very small. 
 
If you asked me how I was doing, and I answered honestly...and told you I was scared, overwhelmed, thankful, excited, sad, lonely, and amazed...think about how you would react to me.  Oh how I long to be able to answer honestly to those who asked, confidently knowing that the questioner really cared how I was doing without judgment, and not merely exchanging pleasantries. 
 
When I ask a student how their day was, I genuinely want to know - even if the answer is 'bad.'  At least it's an honest answer.   
 
I know that these deep emotions will subside, but for now - they are here; I feel them; I ache; I laugh and cry.  Will I be ok?  Of course!  At this moment, they are the qualities of being real...and that's ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment