Tuesday, May 15, 2012

This Ride's for YOU!

Growing up, I hated the color pink.  I'm a 'dark colors' kinda girl.  Pink was too' froo froo' for me. Well, at least until October of 2010 when pink became one of my very favorite colors.  It was then that my best friend, Jean, was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.  It was discovered during a regular exam, and immediate action was taken.  Despite its early detection, the final result was a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

Over the last year and a half, I watched my best friend struggle and fight; working so hard to maintain a 'normal' lifestyle. She fought through fear, and doubt. Everything that seemed to have made her 'her' - was now gone.

She is a wife, a mother of 3, and a grandmother. She holds a 2nd degree Level 4 Black Belt in TaeKwonDo. She is an amazing person, a fierce and loyal friend, and one tough ninja. She is a SURVIVOR. She is JEAN.

Pink is the universal color of Breast Cancer Awareness.  To a survivor, pink is ANYTHING but 'froo froo.'  To them, it's hope, it's courage, it's strength.  To my friend, Jean - these thoughts are no exception.

On September 29, 2012 , I will be riding in the Young Survival Coalitions (YSC) TOUR de PINK in Atlanta, GA.  The YSC became such a beacon of hope for Jean. It was through the online community that she found support and comfort; finding people who could share her fears and doubts because they had walked or were walking in her shoes.

Because of what the YSC did for my best friend, I wanted a way to say thank you to them. This is a fantastic way to do just that, and to honor an amazing heroine.

So, on this day in late September I will be wearing pink.  Jean, this ride's for YOU! ILY

No comments:

Post a Comment