Monday, May 21, 2012

I am Competitive!!

If you had asked me if I had a competitive nature, I would smile shyly and reply, "No, not really." But I think I am, but not in the societal sense.  Society says "Gotta be 1st; Gotta be #1; Gotta be the best."  I am not like this, but I am competitive. 

I work harder when I have a goal; a goal that is seemingly unattainable with out weeks or months of hardwork.  I love having that one goal that most think I'm crazy for setting: a half marathon or a 40mile bike ride.  There were a couple of people who, when I told them that I'd just registered for a 40 mile bike ride for late September...their eyes got wide, and they shook their heads.  "Courtney, don't you think that's too long.  Not sure you'll be able to finish."

I entertained their criticism for a moment, and then thought back to September of 2010.  The weekend of my 30th birthday, I flew up to Virginia Beach, VA...alone.  And on September 5, just a half hour or so after my official birth time (which is 11:58a), I jogged across the finish line of my first (and probably last) half marathon (13.1 miles.)  What was my wacked out reason for wanting to do it?  I was going to turn 30 anyway - might as well do something I've never done before, and that I would remember for a lifetime. 

This Tour de Pink Bike Ride is not about me!  There are things that I must do in order to be successful, and I do get some benefits - but I am not reason.  My best friend, Jean, is the main inspiration.  Breast Cancer awareness has always been near to my heart, but having it touch so close to home - it's a much different feeling. 

Jean would talk to me a little about the Young Survivor's Coalition (YSC); what they did, how they were helping her - providing a forum for survivors to bond, and share experiences, fears, and victories.  When someone is kind and caring to someone I love - that touches my heart and I want to repay the kindness.  That is the other main reason for this specific ride!

In September, I don't expect to break any sound barriers or records.  I just want to finish.  I am competitive...with myself, and doing what others think I'm a little crazy for trying.  40 miles o.O
I'm competitive with others expectations, and with the finish line - which I will see in 131 days.

Jean - This Ride's for YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment