Thursday, May 31, 2012

It's Getting Easier...It's Time for a Change

Over the last 16 days, I have biked 76.61 miles. O.o Wha? And I have loved about 75 of those miles. J  I’m sure that along the way, there was a mile that I wasn’t really fond of. 

Today’s ride was an eye opening one.  I started out going the same way I normally do when starting out from my home.  When I came to the first intersection, I was deciding which direction I wanted to go this morning.  Then I said to myself, “Courtney, you can go anywhere.”  I can go…ANYWHERE!!!  So, I did!  I rode down 3.25 miles to the ball fields where my friend’s daughter plays softball.  From there, I treated myself to a path that took me alongside the elementary, intermediate, and high school where the majority of my TaeKwonDo students attend. 

Then I stopped at a little park to ‘refuel’ – snacking on an apple and water.  It was at the little rest stop that something different happened.  It was not an event, it was a feeling.  I had been maintaining an average pace of about 9.5 miles an hour (6m 16s mile), I was slightly winded, but not out of breath.  And NOTHING hurt.  I felt like it was a casual ride.  It felt GREAT!

After my break, I rode past the local YMCA where I would normally turn right to go home.  But I can go ANYWHERE today, so instead, I went straight – talking the ‘long way home.’ The latter part of my ride was met with a steady headwind, but even that felt different. 

My normal morning bike route of usually 6-7 miles had turned into 9 miles.  As I was peddling through my neighborhood I couldn’t help but think that I might be getting a little better because my biking was getting a little easier.  Easier can mean only one thing – it’s time for a change.  My changes will most likely be A) longer rides, B) a higher gear setting, C) faster peddling – or D) ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Even though I’m a martial arts instructor, I’ve never really been a ‘gym rat.’  I’ve never ‘fallen in love’ with exercising (for the sake of exercising.)  But having a goal staring at me makes all the difference.  I do struggle sometimes with simply getting out the door in the mornings, but once I’m on the bike – I LOVE IT! 

I can go ANYWHERE I want!  I want to go biking.  I want to go to Atlanta in 121 days. 

Jean, this ride’s for YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment