Friday, May 18, 2012

On the Third Day

There are times when training for something sucks!  It's difficult, sweaty, and dirty.  By the end I'm exhausted.  But there are times when training for something is...fun?  That's right, I said it.  Today's training was fun.  There wasn't anything special about today's route.  It was the same as I'd taken just two days before: a short 5 3/4 mile ride. 

The weather was cool. The smell of damp earth still lingered in the air.  I was taken back to a mission trip I went on to Honduras.  The mornings were the same; the smells were the same.  The purposes were similar: something bigger than myself.

Yes my legs burned, my heart raced and sweat dripped its way down my face.  But I didn't care.  For a moment, sweet memories of old friends flooded my mind and I breathed them in deeply. 

I wonder if when I cross the finish line in September, memories of my training moments will flood back to me - sweetly reminding me of something much bigger than me.  If they do, I'll breathe them in deeply, just like the smell of damp earth in the morning.

Tomorrow morning, I'll go for my morning ride in a state park; my sense keenly aware of the beauty of the morning.  With each pedal's rotation, I will remember the reason why in hope to bring it back to my memory in September. 

My dearest Jean, This Ride's for YOU!

Today's ride:
#1 Goal 30-40 min
     Actual Ride 35min/5.78m
#2 Goal: None
     Road 15min/2.56m

No comments:

Post a Comment