Friday, April 8, 2011

I'll be missing you...

"...In all the old, familiar places that this heart of mine embraces all day through..."

One of the hardest things to do (epecially for me) is making friends.  I didn't really have many friends when I was younger - but that was forceful choice.  I kept everyone at arms lengths for a variety of reasons.  However, during college - that's when I started to really make friends...  Some were those who were only for a season, and some were for a specific reason.  A few will be my friends for a lifetime.  ALL of them taught me lessons that I will carry with me wherever I go.

I met some in the School of Music at FSU.  I met some in the dorm I lived in.  I met some in the campus minstry I was involved in.  I met a few in a couple of the churches I attended and met many in TaeKwonDo.  I've mentored some, been counseled by some, been kissed by a few, hugged by a bunch, trusted by some and confided in some.  I believe; however, that at one point or another that I have been loved by all in some form or fashion.

One drawback to all these friends: they are not nearby.  Either they moved away, or stayed when I moved.  4 months ago, I moved to a new and unfamiliar city where I aquainted with only one person.  I moved to a place in my life where there is a need to make new friends, but the ability to do so has proven difficult.  Learning to trust new hearts wasn't a lesson that I wanted undergo again in my lifetime.  It is so scary for me.  I've learned that with trust come a great chance for being hurt, but without it - it lessens the chance to love and be loved. 

I have found that even the smallest things create in me such a longing for the touch of a friend, and I begin to miss them so much.  The sights and sounds of Starbucks (perhaps that's really why i find myself there so often), a beautiful sunset, the smell of burning leaves, the touch of a cool breeze...the knowledge of their sadness.  Or perhaps nothing at all - just a stroll down memory lane.

So, my friends - with all my heart, I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment