Monday, September 10, 2012

A Birthday Bike Ride

Imagine for me, if you will, a little wagon.  We are going to fill that wagon with 5 pound bags of sugar…40 of them.  Do the math; that’s 200 pounds.  Now we are going to pull that little wagon for a mile or two.  Easy?  Sure if you’re a body builder, or a regular gym attender.  But for the average person…not so much. 

This same concept applies for me as I bike; the only difference is that I weigh a bit more. 

I have struggled with being overweight all my life.  One of the hardest things for me to come to terms with is that while the process of gaining weight takes no time at all – the process of losing weight is slow…very slow.  It takes patience and perseverance.  It requires commitment.  It helps to set smaller goals to use as mile markers along the journey to the finish line.  And it helps to have a clear picture of where that finish line is, how to get there, and who will make that journey with you. 

In mid-May, I made a decision to register for a late-September breast cancer ride.  The very next day I began ‘training.’  My first ride was 5.87 miles on a Wednesday. I rode a couple more times that week and then on that Sunday for 18 mile.  I thought I was going to die.  During June, I logged 10 rides totaling 84 miles.  July held only 3 rides totaling about 40 miles due to the horrible heat and humidity.  Last month in August, my rides became longer.  I logged 5 rides totaling 102 miles. My longest ride had been 24.23 miles on August 8.  Until my birthday…

On September 5th, I turned 32.  I had a goal…I wanted to ride 32 miles in celebration of my life.  This ride was not about speed or terrain.  It was solely about distance.  I donned my bike shorts, and my favorite neon green t-shirt; my helmet, hydration pack and sunglasses and off I went. 

Where I live, the city has created an amazing place to ride with all paved pathways enveloped in canopies of trees, and dotted with a variety of wildlife.  One of the trails opens up onto a main highway that has great bike paths along the beach.  This is where I peddled. 

The journey was fairly flat, and the rhythm of my legs was consistent.  When that happens, my mind becomes steady and pensive.  I was thinking about the why of what I was doing.  It is not very often that I do something just for me.  But this ride was just that...it was just for me. 

But, then I thought about what led up to this ride: my best friend Jean.  She is a breast cancer survivor.  During some of her darkest months, she was strong and courageous.  Through fear, she remained positive and loving.  Because of her journey, I wanted to support the organization that had been such a beacon of hope for Jean – the Young Survivor’s Coalition (YSC).  So, in honor of Jean, I registered for the YSC Tour de Pink bike ride in Atlanta, GA. 

I since then, I’ve been biking regularly.  I’ve been lugging my heavy, little wagon across many miles.  When I started, 5 miles was hard.  Now, 25 miles is hard.  Soon, 50 miles will be the breaking point, and then 75 and 100 miles.  When I started, I would often find myself frustrated when other (more experienced and fit) bikers would pass me because no matter how hard I peddled or what gear I was in…I simply couldn’t keep up.  And I still get frustrated that I cannot go uphill without pain, and I’ve yet to conquer the Bay Point Bridge that links Orange Beach, Alabama to Florida. 

Then I think about my heavy, little wagon piled high with bags of sugar.  There are physical reasons why going fast or going uphill is near impossible for me.  It is certainly not for lack of wanting or trying.  But remember, for the average, everyday person, pulling that wagon is tough.  So then, what’s the solution…

Lighten the load of the wagon, of course.  That has become the focus of my riding; biking longer and burning the calories to make the load lighter.  Eventually, I’ll be able to take the hills.  I’ll be able to ride faster.  But until that day comes, I’ll just keep peddling. 

And on my 32nd birthday, I biked 32 miles, plus 1 to grow on.  And one day that 1 will become 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment