Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Beginning of the Beginning

There have been a lot of changes in my life over the last 6 months.  The major change is that I relocated to Atlanta, Georgia.  One of the wonderful things about this move is that I've become a member of the outstanding Atlanta Women's Chorus.  62 of the most amazing women, with incredible stories and beautiful journeys of courage, determination, and love.

I have recently learned of one of these journeys that has become such an inspiration to me; a two year (and beyond) health and fitness journey...a successful one!  Over the last 2 years, she has lost 115 pounds not from fad diets or pills or crazy routines - from consistently making good eating choices, educating herself on which foods and nutrients her body responds to, and with exercise.

It's one thing to hear the story, but seeing the pictures...it gave me hope.  It spoke courage to my heart.  I remember a time when I was so active.  I was a martial artist, an avid, competitive disc golf player, and cyclist.  Over the last several years, my activity level has significantly declined.  Since having moved, my body has started to rebel.  I was out of work for 3 months because I could barely walk.  Activity was not an option.

I am on the mend, and am able to get back to biking...the hard part? Actually doing it.  Then I think about my friend, who, when she started was like me, well over 300lbs.  It is possible!  I am not hopeless.

My first goal is to reduce the consumption of my sugary, coffee drinks that I adore, and increasing the amount of water.  It cannot be about going from 300+ pounds to 180 in 6 months, or even a year.  It's about making the right choices to ensure a long lasting lifestyle of health.

No comments:

Post a Comment