Friday, February 25, 2011

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall...

I hate mirrors.  They unforgivingly tell the truth, or do they?  When we look into a mirror - we must do so with our eyes.  I know, it's a "DUH!" statement - but those eyes are connected to our brains.  So, I think we see not only what is 'actually' there but what our brain says is there. 

I have pre-conceived notions and thoughts about myself dating back to my childhood.  Most are insecurities formed over time that I have allowed to run rampant in my mind - which, I've noticed has jaded my view of...me. 

I don't like to look at myself in the mirror out of fear of what I might see, but even in fear - I cannot help myself but to atleast steal a glance as I pass by one. 

This morning was an ordinary morning.  I got dressed, packed up my computer, stuck my phone and a $5 bill in my pocket - and headed back to brush my teeth before leaving.  Brush in hand, toothpaste squeezed - sideways glance in the mirror stolen...I did a double take.  Why?!  Because I noticed something...my eyes and my brain were seeing the same thing.  My straight-from-the-dryer jeans were baggy, and my once semi-tight shirt was just kinda "hangin there."  WHAT?!?

I have not arrived at my desired health destination - but I'm driving slowly and with purpose.  My goal now is when I pass by a mirror and steal a glance...to find 1-3 positive things that I see.  I don't think it's conceit or arrogant to want to see the positive in one's self; in fact, I think it's healthy.  Too many times do we quickly state what is lacking or negative in us, and never taking in the good.  It's not about vanity, it's about well-being. 

Mirror, Mirror on the wall...I don't care if I'm the fairest of all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment